My sister is currently on a ketogenic diet and, as a result of living together, I’m now also on some sort of morphed version of a ketogenic diet. She has been going crazy with Pinterested meal ideas for us to try – especially anything using cauliflower. We’ve tried cauliflower pizza crust, mac and cheese, and cheesy breadsticks so we had to step our cauliflowering game to the next level and try something a little different. Enter: Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. (Can you tell we like cheese?!)
We got the original recipe from a blog called Kirbie’s Cravings, obviously sourced by Pinterest, and made a few alterations according to what we had available in our kitchen! (Let’s be real, sometimes you have to work with what you have!)
The original recipe can be found HERE.
And now comes our version of this super yummy recipe. BUT – be warned: your house will most definitely smell like cauliflower farts, but I swear it’s completely worth it!
We also added a side of bacon wrapped asparagus which was HEAVENLY and helped diminish some of the cauliflower scent lingering in the house.
Here is our version of the Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets and stem removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup
shreddedgrated Parmesan cheese 1 tsp Italian herb seasoningGarlic salt + black pepper to taste 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheeseCouple handfuls of shredded cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Place cauliflower into food processor and pulse.
2. Place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft, tender, and hot! (Not to mention smelly)
3. Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and stir again. Cook for 5 more minutes. At this point, you should notice the cauliflower becoming more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. If you’ve made cauliflower pizza or breadsticks, it should look the same. The cauliflower will still be moist to the touch but will be clumped up, similar to mashed potatoes.
4. Allow cauliflower to cool for a few minutes. Then add in egg, parmesan and seasoning. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms and divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. NOTE: If your cauliflower slice is too thin, it will cook much quicker and possibly burn. Keep an eye on it!
5. Using a spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Take your handfuls of cheese and pile it on to your heart’s content! My sister also added some red pepper flakes here and it was pretty tasty! Set your oven to broil (we used low because we always burn things if it’s on high) and let the sandwiches cook for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melty and bread is nice a toasty.
Will you try this recipe? Change anything up? Let me know in the comments!