If you needed some more proof that 1. I have a sweet tooth and 2. I am still on the long road to an overall “healthy” lifestyle, here it is!!
The original recipe can be found here, and I have made some slight changes to it as, surprisingly, there was too much sugar in the original recipe for me.
So without further ado, here is the recipe for some pretty spectacular cupcakes!
Seriously though, they have gone quick here at my household. They’ve been way too good to eat just one at a time. So if you’re in need of a winning cupcake recipe, trust this one is everything you need.
Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 Box yellow cake mix (you can use whatever you prefer, I love yellow cake)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup yogurt (as always, I used Siggi’s)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I make my own with 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes and you’ve got buttermilk!)
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen work)
- For Frosting:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar (either measurement works, depends on your preference)
- Blueberries for garnish, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line pans with cupcake liners or grease well if not using liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, yogurt, and buttermilk. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add cake mix and beat for two minutes. Gently fold in blueberries by hand
- Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely at room temperature.
- For Frosting – beat butter and cream cheese until smooth, add in lemon juice, add the icing sugar a little at a time until desired consistency or flavor is reached.
- Spoon or pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes, top with fresh berries if desired and enjoy!